Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Question - Why

Written on - 3rd August 2015
What are we really trying to do?
Travelling really teaches us something. Every time you travel out of your routine, you learn something. Teaching you good, bad things like a moody professor is what's life is. A professor once told me " life me har aadmi se knowledge Lena chahiye, chahe fir wo aadmi koi bhi ho" (We should be able to learn something from everybody.)
Yes it's right, everybody can teach us something.
So a Sunday's trek from khopivali village to ahupe ghat taught me something from some people, people I never knew, strangers I never thought I would meet.
Tired and fatigued with Akash and Sudhindra, I  reached near a water cistern on the ghat.  I was admiring the cistern when a guy sat on a rock behind me. I bet be didn't make any noise. I asked him, how much time more to reach top from here? He smiled and said I will get there in 30 mins. You guys will take 1 and a half hour. I wasn't offended. As I knew very well that it could be true. Remembering the fact that I had already thrown up twice due to nausea and my calf muscles pained as if they were shouting their existence, I thought that this man is awesome.
And he really went in ahead on the trail swiftly and easily
He told us that he was going to Pune from some long route which I don't remember. He said that it would save him a hundred bucks.



We met him twice up there. It seemed that he was waiting on us. Akash was a little skeptical of his presence. Akash asked him. " you were gonna reach in 30 mins. How come you're still here? "
He smiled and replied " I thought you guys are going so I have company i am taking a far away route just because I have 100 bucks less on me. It would help me a lot if you help me with 100 bucks.".
We didn't give him money. He went on his own.
When we reached ahupe and were having our lunch. A farmer brought his buffaloes on the field. He started to have a conversation with us. We spoke with him for a while, then while leaving he asked us " are you going to visit someone in the village " we said no we will get back down. He asked us coldly, "what's fun in coming here? I don't get you people ". He went a few steps ahead and pointed us to another group of trekkers.
These two incidents made me think why, why why am I doing this. This route used by villagers on daily basis have no clue why we take the same route and come back? Why a guy trying to save money takes the route? We had even spent more than him, just for coming on that route.
What was worse. The guy asking for money or me asking why. Why am I doing this.

2 comments :

  1. Definitely worth a thought bro... but did u ever considered thinking of it as, why not???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ​​"Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb" -- Greg Child.

      Delete